Monday, September 27, 2010

Spotted...The Heart of San Francisco

I may walk by it every single day, but there was something about today that made it stand out...(probably the fact that it was absolutely gorgeous outside at 8:00am...shining sun, perfectly blue skies, happily chirping birds, people singing and dancing instead of walking and talking...ok, maybe the last one is a bit of a stretch, but I've always wanted to live in a Musical, so that's what I envision on perfect mornings...)

Anyway, today I stopped to admire it...I've nicknamed it "The Heart of San Francisco" and I repeat that phrase to myself each time I walk by it.  It resides in Union Square and more often than not, tourists are climbing all over it getting their pictures taken.  Heck, I'm not even a tourist and I kinda want to climb all over it and have someone take my picture.

In my opinion, there's something about this Heart that truly embodies San Francisco...there just needs to be a little fog engulfing half of the Golden Gate Bridge...then it would truly embody all that San Francisco is...


And today I learned something new about this Heart...something that makes me love it that much more.  According to About.com: San Francisco, "Hearts in San Francisco began in 2004 as a fund raiser for the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation. Like the famous painted cows, the painted hearts -- created from uniform molds and painted by individual artists -- decorate the city in areas like Union Square, until they are auctioned off at a benefit for the charity. New hearts are unveiled each year."

Pretty cool stuff.  If I had the $$$ (or a giant, empty room to fill some "fascinating" art with), I might just bid on it!  But since I don't have either of those, I'll just have to continue enjoying The Heart of San Francisco like the rest of the tourists who roam through Union Square. 

And if you happen to have the $$$ or the space, you should buy it and invite me over to admire it! 

3 comments:

  1. ... or climb all over it and have someone take your picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That heart is super pretty, do they say something about each artist on the heart or its podium?

    ReplyDelete