Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Homemade Guac Recipe

I'm happy to announce that this week's Sunday Craving went over quite well (I figured I couldn't go wrong with some Homemade Guac)!

As requested, please find our recipe below...all I ask is that if you try the recipe, you let me know what you think (and let me know if you have any suggestions for improving it - after all, there's always room for improvement!!!). 

YIELD: Enough Guac to feed 4 super hungry adults who put Guac on everything...or 6-8 "normal" adults
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
LEVEL OF YUMMY: Can't-Stop-Eating Yummy

INGREDIENTS:
6 Haas (perfectly ripe) Avocados, halved and pitted
1 small white onion, diced as small as you like
2 small garlic cloves, minced (not bulbs...then you'd have bad breath for weeks!!!)
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (and seeded if you don't like spice...or leave the seeds in if you do...I say keep 'em in!)
1/2 a lime, juiced
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
As mentioned above, halve and pit the avocados.  Scoop out the flesh (the yummy, edible green part that I wish wasn't referred to as "flesh") of the avocados and dice...you could simply scoop it into a bowl for mixing, but I think there was something about the dicing that made our Guac that much better. Dice your small onion, mince your garlic cloves, and dice or mince your jalapeno pepper (whichever you prefer).  As I said earlier, depending on the level of heat you enjoy (I prefer extra spicy), you can either remove the jalapeno seeds, leave them in, or keep half...it's all up to you. 

Once your ingredients are diced, minced, seeded and excited to be added to the avocado flesh, toss 'em all into a medium mixing bowl (or in whatever pretty bowl you'd like to serve your Guac in)...hold off on the tomatoes for now...

Mix the ingredients (that's where my husband came in super handy...I won't lie, he did most of the work while I did some of the dicing and all of the supervising).  At this point, you can begin seasoning by adding some salt and pepper...as with most cooking, don't go too crazy with the salt...more can always be added later on.  You can also add in your lime juice now.  I'd start with half a lime, but if you prefer more, go for it!

Once you have those ingredients hanging out in your serving bowl together (and once you've tasted your concoction for edibility and adjusted appropriately), you can dice your Roma tomatoes and add them to the mix.  The reason we've waited until the end to add the tomatoes is so that we don't smush them to smithereens...we want them to maintain their consistency, after all!   Now you can gently incorporate your tomatoes with the rest of the ingredients...


And voila!  You have some pretty darn amazing Homemade Guac ready to be paired with tortilla chips, quesadillas, burritos, tacos, or whatever else you enjoy dipping in your Guac (ie - your finger).

FINAL TIP: Pair the Guac with these delicious chips that can be found at the ever-trusty Trader Joe's...Yummy!


Enjoy (and let me know if you have any questions)!

2 comments: