Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Bump Report: Week 21

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
{OK...regain composure}

This week's email from The Bump scared me.  It mentioned the beginning stages of the ever-dreaded stretchmarks that coincide with Pregnancy.  They even wrote it in a way that made me cringe...

"Gasp...is that a stretch mark?!! *(OH MY GOD IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!)* Take deep breaths and remember -- they'll fade after delivery."  Please notice that they didn't say they'll go away...they'll just fade...ohhhhh, the joys of Motherhood

The whole stretch mark comment actually came at an appropriate time - while I haven't seen any form on my body/belly quite yet (fingers crossed they stay away for a long, loooooong time because there's nothing wrong with wishful thinking, right!?!), they have definitely crossed my mind.  So last week, I begged Travis to accompany me to Giggle in the Marina to hunt down stretch mark cream (what a great sport he is!).  And after turning the bottle over only to discover that it cost $42.00 for 4 ounces (or something ridiculous like that), we quickly set it down and moved along - I mean, I would expect some liquid gold to come out of that sucker for me to pay that much!!!  As we quickly exited the store we decided that for the time being, regular lotion will work just as well as stretch mark cream...(I'll let you know how that goes)

For now, I'm just going to enjoy my ever-growing, not-yet-stretch-marked baby bump...here are a few pics from Week 21!   I feel like I look more pregnant from the front than I do from the side! 

Week 21
Week 21
In fun baby news, Abby is now the size of a banana!  Once again, I'm not sure how she was a cantaloupe last week and a banana this week (wouldn't that mean she's shrinking?), but what I do know is that she's happy and feisty (I honestly think she's in there doing acrobatics and I'm kind of loving it...we have a little athlete forming!!!).  What's really amazing is that "her womb is now stocked up with her lifetime supply of six million eggs (the number will drop to around one million by birth)."  How crazy is that!?! 

Stay tuned for next week's Bump Report...I'm sure I'll just keep looking bigger and bigger (and maybe I'll even have some stretch marks to report on - yay!)...

And I have to ask: Do you have any recommendations on stretch mark creams or lotions?  Is there really a difference between the two? Are they really worth $42 for 4 oz.?
 
As always, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback!
*They didn't actually write that part...it was just my personal interpretation of their phrasing...hehe*

15 comments:

  1. Just cam across your blog...sorry, no mommy experience or stretch mark advice...but I just had to tell you that I am equally perplexed by the cantaloupe>banana comparison. haha! But really, how is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some scars from an accident a few years back. They were really red and unsightly. A friend recommended I try bio oil and it made a huge difference. According to the bottle it's also suitable for stretch marks. I don't know if you can get it in the States, but if you can it's definitely worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure all the stretch mark creams are gimics. Its a nice little game called, does my skin stretch well? My sister ended up with a stretch mark 1/4" long. Notice the "a" for singular. I on the other hand look like I got mauled by a ravenous creature. No joke. I wear tankinis now... oh and jack was over 9lbs.... so its a fun game similar to Russian roulette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't get any stretch marks until like less than a week before the girls were born :/ Those creams and stuff are a load of crap- there is NOTHING you can do to prevent stretch marks. It is genetic, but remember you have two parents so you have to look at BOTH sides of you family. Although I don't think Gram got any... not so sure. You can use Bio Oil or like Mederma Stretch Mark Cream to help minimize the look of them after, but that is about as good as it gets. If you want to use them the sooner the better. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a tummy :) Looking great Missy!
    Did ya happen to notice the time you posted your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and ps- you do look WAY more pregnant from the front than the side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Girl that's not even a bump. That's like...an extra piece of cake for desert! You look so radiant pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Nina...7x7xMommy is in big trouble...her momma has many "faded" stretch marks to this day...every single one well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Alison! I used Tummy Honey cream on some serious stretch marks and it actually helped a lot. I'm considering getting some more. You can get it on Amazon for a bit cheaper than you can in the stores.

    Congrats on your wonderful squid and your awesome blog! I have enjoyed reading it.

    Cheers,

    Aimée Williams

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I went through the whole pregnancy with no new stretch marks ( I have some from my teen years), but they aren't noticeable. Anyway, I found them after I had my baby...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used a product that I got at Whole Foods called "Mother's Special Blend" and it was amazing. I didn't get a single stretch mark (I used it from the day we found out until I was 6 weeks post-partum) and it smells like cookies! Okay, maybe that was the pregnant brain speaking, but I definitely would recommend it. It runs about $15 a bottle, and I only went through one bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all SO much for the comments, advice and suggestions...I'm going to have to do a summary of everything I've learned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like no further advice is needed, but my OB's "congrats you're pregnant" take-home sheet says up front: Don't buy any stretch mark creme! You'll either get them, or you won't; it's genetics and you can't change it. I have them pretty badly from my son, but I was overweight to start out and I think if my skin hadn't already been "stretched" from holding all of me in the first place.
    Good luck not getting them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey "Bump Girl".....the object of any cream for belly bump is to keep skin soft and supple, even something as simple as aloe vera, vasoline or crank case oil. Well the latter might be a little too messy. But DO keep something on Abbies caseing cause it DOES make a difference! Remember, Grandma knows best (snicker) Love Ya,
    Granny Grits

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes, thanks for all the feedback everyone! I am going to have to write all this down, do some pricing research, and re-post a consolidated list for everyone. Keep the ideas coming! :)

    ReplyDelete