At nearly 25 weeks Pregnant, I fear I'm approaching that "magical" time when strangers feel it's appropriate to grope my baby bump. I'm not sure how you feel about this, but in my opinion it's one of the scariest aspects of Pregnancy.
You see, I have a confession to make: I'm not the most touchy-feely person around...
Ever since I can remember, my family has called me "bubble girl" (or some variation of that nickname). You could say I'm a little claustrophobic, but that's not necessarily it...I just appreciate and value my personal space. I'm aware that this could possibly make me sound like a cold, unloving person, but I promise I'm not. In fact, I'm a very warm and incredibly loving person...I'm just very particular about personal space (hence the reason I walk 2.5 miles to and from work each day instead of riding the over-stuffed bus).
1. When I'm standing in line at the deli for a sandwich, it stresses me out if the person behind me gets too close (and starts breathing down my neck)...all I can think is, "Please notice the space between myself and the person in front of me...you do the same...it's common courtesy. Thank you."
2. When I'm leaving crowded baseball games (GO GIANTS!!!) or basketball games, I prefer to leave on the early side to avoid the crowds of people pushing and shoving each other to get out (unless, of course, it's a REALLY good game...then I'll just wait until most people have left).
3. After a movie has ended at the Theater, I try to be one of the first people out of the venue (this serves two purposes...I get to avoid the mad rush down the stairs AND I get to be first in line for the bathroom).
The list could go on and on but I think it's obvious that I value personal space.
So when I envision strangers coming up to touch my belly, I experience some anxiety...I say strangers for a reason - PLEASE NOTE - friends and family, I welcome your warm and loving "hello's" and belly rubs...Abby welcomes them as well...soon enough, she'll probably start doing flips to show off for you (not just in the middle of the night to wake Mommy up).
But if you don't know me, please respect my personal space...last I checked I'm not wearing a sign on my Belly that says "Please Rub." Nor am I wearing this...
In the event I ever do wear this, then I give you (and anyone else for that matter) permission to Rub my Belly...but trust me, I will never wear this shirt (although if I wanted to my Husband does own a "Rub my Belly" shirt).
I officially give you permission to rub his belly the next time you see him...unlike me, he'll probably like it.
I'm curious...I have a question for both the "Mommy's" and the "Someday Mommy's" out there...
1. Mommy's, what was your stance on strangers rubbing your belly while you were Pregnant? Any horror stories? Think I'm nuts and overprotective (because that's ok too)?
2. Someday Mommy's, where do you think you'll stand on this issue when you have a baby bump?
Happy Tuesday everyone...sorry I was MIA for the past few days!!! As always, I can't wait to hear your thoughts!