Thursday, April 21, 2011

Decoding the Cry of the Baby: The "That-Hurt" Cry

The That-Hurt Cry

I hate this cry because it typically means that either I've hurt her or she's hurt herself...and it always seems to involve her crazy fingernails that grow like weeds.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've trimmed her finger instead of her fingernail (what!?! Her nails are as thin as paper and feel the same as skin...not to mention they're tiny).  This little accident (which I am a little ashamed to admit has happened more than once but less than five times) results in the that-hurt cry. 

Believe it or not, it's a cry that has ZERO buildup.  It starts at the loudest possible point (or so you think) and then progressively gets MUCH louder, MUCH more dramatic, and it's even accompanied by tears. 

This is the saddest cry of all...but like some of the others, it's a quick fix.  The that-hurt cry just needs LOVE. Quickly. Oh, and lots of it. It passes just as quickly as it began, but it has been known to break hearts (and make Moms and Dads everywhere feel like they're the worst parents on earth).

I just hope Abigail doesn't hold the finger incident(s) against me, though something tells me her Dad will never let her...or me...forget.

Here's a look at the that-hurt cry...

No comments:

Post a Comment